Note: My current contract finishes at the end of August 2013 and I am seeking a new job.
terri (at) zone12.com || http://terri.zone12.com
PhD in Computer Science
Carleton University, 2011
Advisor: Anil Somayaji
Master of Computer Science
Carleton University, 2005
Advisor: Tony White
- Profiled by Carleton NOW, the Ottawa Sun, and CJOH News as a graduate with compelling research
Bachelor of Mathematics
Carleton University, 2003
- Awarded the Senate Medal for Outstanding Academic Achievement and graduated with highest honours
University of New Mexico [2011-current]
- Worked on DARPA grant for biologically-inspired computer security research
- Continued research on Genprog, a system for automatically evolving software patches to fix bugs
Carleton University [2003-2010]
- Designed curricula and ran hands-on tutorials for first year Java Programming and Game Design
- Cut the failure rate of non-computer science students in half during the first year of Java tutorials
- Graded assignments/midterms for 3rd year User Interface Design and 2nd year Internet Programming
- Wrote and gave guest lectures for Internet Application Programming on PHP programming, cross-site scripting, basic databases in PHP, SQL injection, and data validation for security purposes
- Ran a one week course focused on teaching computer game design to grade 8-9 level students
- Designed and implemented a web application for mapping and sharing data in order to facilitate a study of how early years education centres would share and visualize data
Carleton University (Mathematics) 
- Adapted and implemented an experimental algorithm for solving the p-median problem
Wireless Research Developer
- Ported a Bitflash SVG rendering engine to the Agenda VR3 (the first Linux handheld released to consumers); this work was presented at the meeting of the W3C SVG working group in June 2001
Software Developer, Universal Data Access
- Worked as part of the UDA group which produces a common interface to develop Cognos applications on different operating systems and access data through different database drivers
- Databases (esp. MySQL & PostgreSQL)
- Linux/MacOS X/Windows
Languages: English (proficient editor and native speaker), French (intermediate)
Work Authorization: I am a Canadian citizen currently holding a US J-1 Visiting Scholar Visa
- T Oda, A Somayaji. "Visual Security Policy for the Web." USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Security (HotSec '10), Washington, DC, August 10, 2010.
- T Oda, A Somayaji. "No Web Site Left Behind: Are We Making Web Security Only for the Elite?" Web 2.0 Security and Privacy (W2SP). Oakland, CA, May 20, 2010.
- T Oda, G Wurster, P Van Oorschot, A Somayaji. "SOMA: Mutual Approval for Included Content in Web Pages" ACM Computer and Communications Security (CCS'08), October 27-31, 2008. Pgs 89-98.
- T Oda, A Somayaji, Tony White. "Content Provider Conflict on the Modern Web" Symposium on Information Assurance (New York State Cyber Security Conference), Albany, NY, June 4-5, 2008.
- T Oda, T White, "Immunity from spam: an analysis of an artificial immune system for junk email detection", In Proceedings of Artificial Immune Systems: 4th International Conference, ICARIS 2005, Banff, AB, August 14-17, 2005. Springer. Pgs 276-289.
- T Oda, T White, "Increasing the Accuracy of a Spam-Detecting Artificial Immune System." In Proceedings of the Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 2003), Canberra, Australia, December 2003. Pgs 390-396.
- T Oda, T White, "Developing an Immunity to Spam." Genetic and Evolutionary Computation - GECCO 2003. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Chicago, IL, July 12-16, 2003, Pgs 231-242.
Awards and Scholarships
- Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship (Google, 2008)
- Dean of Graduate Studies Academic Excellence Scholarship for Domestic Students (Carleton, 2008)
- Domestic Tuition Scholarship (Carleton, 2006-2007)
- NSERC Postgraduate scholarship - Doctorate (NSERC, 2005-2008)
- NSERC Postgraduate scholarship - Masters (NSERC, 2004)
- Carleton Computer Science Graduate Scholarship (Carleton, 2003-2008)
- Senate Medal for Outstanding Academic Achievement (Carleton, 2003)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (Ontario Government, 2003)
- A. D. Dunton Scholarship (Carleton, 2002)
- Gordon Robertson Scholarship (Carleton, 1999)
- President's Scholarship (4 year renewable, Carleton, 1998)
- Robert O. Hursti award for music (Lisgar Collegiate, 1998)
- W. K. Baldwin scholarship (Ottawa Field Naturalists Club, 1998)
Google Summer of Code [2010-current]
- 2013 organization administrator for the Python Software Foundation, which includes 19 sub-projects, 87 mentors, and 36 students selected from over 100 applicants
- Mentor for Systers and GNU Mailman
- Officer in charge of recording events and other items of interest as a photographer and writer
GNU Mailman [2002-current]
- Member of the Steering Committee which makes decisions about how to allocate donations to further development, architectural directions of the project, and other coordination for Mailman
- Provided much of the documentation for the 2.1 series (current stable release)
- System administrator and overall mailing list administrator for linuxchix.org
- One of three nominees to lead LinuxChix in 2007
Nepean Concert Band [1998-2011] & Albuquerque Concert Band [2012-current]
- Bb Clarinet and occasional Bass Clarinet
[Last updated: 2013-06-10]